Thursday, April 01, 2010

American Military Families in the Occupation of Japan

After many years trying, I’ve finally succeeded in securing a publisher (a regular, nationally-respected one, not a vanity house or strictly e-book type) for my book on the role of American military families in the occupation of Japan. Our family was one of them; we lived in Yokohama in 1949-‘50, when I was 10 and 11 years old. I use my memories to flesh out and provide examples supporting the books’ thesis, which is that the families provided the model the Japanese observed and emulated in rebuilding their society, and also the paradigm upon which they fashioned their postwar industrial colossus. I am seeking the experiences of my contemporaries to flesh out my story by providing more and more varied examples. If you would like to participate in this project, kindly write me at: jimlam1@comcast.net. Please have your email include a brief sketch of your time in Japan: when/where you lived, highlights, lowlights, notable routines, how the experience affected your life, etc. What you tell me in your email(s) likely will trigger back-and-forth dialogue in which I might elicit more (and possibly more revealing) data. I once was a working journalist, so know how the process works. I hope to get many contributions, all of which will be cited and, in part at least, quoted. Thank you. James Lamont, Deerfield, Illinois.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home